Sunday 2 October 2016

1.10.16 - Seaham Red Star (a)

The previous week, I'm afraid I abandoned my post and accompanied my wife to see Middlesbrough lose 2-1 to a Spurs team that looked extremely impressive. However, in my absence, the Bay lost 2-0 in the FA Vase to Division 2 leaders Stockton. Despite the glamour of watching the likes of Valdes, Negredo, Deli Alli...it was Hillheads where I wish I had stayed. The things we do for love!
In the middle of the week, the lads were unlucky to lose 2-3 in the last minute away to Morpeth. By all accounts it was an extremely impressive display so I travelled with hope to Seaham with Woodie confident that we could get a win. My weekend had been disappointing as I had been struck down by man-flu: no Park Run for me either so a pick-me-up was needed: a trip to Seaham Red Star. What could be better?
As we entered the ground we were welcomed by the grating sounds of "Now that's what I call Rave Music" (probably).  My day got even worse as I emerged from the toilet to find Barry dancing to the self-same rave music on offer. The toilet cubicle, that had scrawled the terrifying "SR5: we we are here!" on it, also had no lock on the door: although it could be wedged closed then opened with a foot lodged under it. Thank the lord for the welcome sight of an antiseptic hand-wash; I know: what a wimp! There was also a noisy, brown Labrador that barked at every dog walker who walked past us. Those dog walkers, who are here at the match, instead of taking their faithful friend for their expected walk. Good job the cold and flu tablets were working! It was like Crufts...sort of.
Then the match started and my day took a nosedive. I, and probably everyone that was there connected with the Bay, wished someone could have done some kind of Jedi mind trick on us to make us forget that dismal afternoon. The fact that the sun was shining was scant consolation.
It basically went like this:
0-1: No!
0-2 No! No!
0-3 No! No! No!
Half time, cup of tea and chunky kitkat: nice!
0-4 We need to sign more Redheads as all these blond players are easy to mix-up!
1-4 Yay! Anderson's overhead kick saved and Fryatt pops in the rebound. We're going to win 5-4!
1-5 We're not. Oh! Bugger!
1-6 Can we go home now? Thank you.
The debate on the way home was whether the Duke of Northumberland, who we think owns the land Hillheads stands on would invest in the team: he owns the land my house stands on anyway. The chances though of this knight in shining armour arriving looks slim we decided because we are not a croquet, quoits or polo team.
Suffice to say, I will try to forget our visit but the scars will still remain. However, my Whitley shirt was immediately washed in preparation for the visit of Chester-le-Street.


No comments:

Post a Comment